Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Days 1-3

January 20, 2015

Activities:

-Homework
-Coloring
-Reading
-Chess

Today was the first day being with Jaida. She is the sweetest little thing in the world. She’s super smart too so I feel a little intimidating attempting to tutor her and help her with her homework. But today was extremely fun. The first hour we worked on homework. It’s been quite a few years since I’ve done middle school math, but wow, it was a lot harder than I was expecting. When we finished doing math I asked if she wanted to color, read, or play a game and she wanted me to read to her while she colored.



So we picked up Harry Potter and I started reading while she colored. We read for about another 30-40 minutes. After reading to her we talked about the book. She said, “I really wish Hogwarts was a real place. Like, I would be such a good witch!” This made me laugh but in all honesty I couldn’t agree more! We finished up talking and she started telling how she loves chess. She’s in the chess club at school, has competed in a couple of tournaments. She’s legit. So I told her I had never learned the proper way to play! We spent the rest of the time playing chess and her teaching me all about it.
 
_____________________________________________________________________ 
 
 
January 22, 2015

Activities:

-Homework
-Computer Project

I just want to start today off by saying how much middle school math is kicking my butt. Jaida is a very good student too so she ended up teaching me how to do her homework today. She also had an English assignment that I could actually help her with so that was a boost to myself esteem. We did homework for the first 40 minutes than decided to go to the computer lab to work on a computer project she had to do for 4H. A part of 4H they have the student run for offices to help the mentors & directors with stuff that needs to get done. So Jaida decided that she wanted to run for Class Historian which meant that she would be in charge of taking pictures of stuff that happens during program as well as run the class store.



She was super excited and felt pretty confident about it until she found out someone would be running against her. It was so sad to see her confidence leave her face when this other student said they were going to run. Jaida isn’t the most confident person to begin with so, I felt I needed to help her as much as I was allowed so she would feel better about her presentation. We put together a little poster of why she was be a good historian, was some of her previous experience was, and how she had the skills to do the best job. We spent the rest of the time that day practicing what she would say and making her poster look great.

Classroom Pictures:
These are the rules of the classroom. Before each class begins, the students read this and the pledge blow.

This is the 4H pledge.

Each table has a set of materials that the students are allowed to use whenever they want or to help them with their homework

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
 
January 27, 2015

Activities

-Homework
-Coloring
-Reading
-Chess

I definitely feel like my middles school math skills are improving, either that or Jaida is just a really good teacher. Today she didn’t have much homework to do so we focused on other fun activities we could do together. Since it had been some time since we read Harry Potter she decided to do that. I read to her again while she colored printed off coloring pictures from the internet for about an hour.
 
 
After that we talked about what we had read about and how much we like Hermione. You could tell after talking why Jaida looks up to her so much. Jaida is very quiet but also very smart, so she can easily relate to her character. The more I get to know Jaida the more I remember how much I hated middle school. This is such a rough time for them, they’re awkward, kids are mean, and they themselves are kind weird. It’s true that Jaida, I think, is pretty mature for a 12 year old but, there will be times where she’ll say something and I’m reminded of her real age. After we finished talking about the book I asked if she would play chess with me again and she got super excited! She looked at me like that was a dumb question, of course she wanted to play her game. We played chess and talked for the rest of the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment